Monday, June 1, 2015

Fine Art of See Weed

The fine art of seeing


The January 2015 issue of BayNature arrived at Joel's. The cover looks like a watercolor but isn't. I read the article, looked up Josie Iselin's website, ordered a print of the cover and we went to see her at a presentation at Bay Conference Center.

I intended to recreate the cover in watercolor, since the picture looked like a watercolor. Over time I did several paintings of limited success. It was an exercise, but I wouldn't have minded if I could send one off to Josie for helping me see what was right in front of me… See: April 3rd post.

My watercolor teacher, Pablo is a master teacher, mixing from a basic pallet and helping to understand the application of those colors to create form and value. He teaches with the copy method. Perfect. Learn a new way, that's what I wanted. The seaweed was my 'at home' project. My drawing done, palette was loaded, a less than satisfying experience, and results. Enthusiastic responses at class. 

Saturday I did it again. Drawing done, palette loaded. Took out a blank sheet and painted freestyle. That's me, my painting, my hand. Then I did the final painting of the cover art. Blah.

What I found out is 'my freestyle' is my style. Pablo's lessons enrich that style. The fine art of seeing.

Print, on top. 1st painting in middle is my favorite...
to the rt is #2, left, #3. less satisfying each attempt.
The real thing!
Took out a blank sheet and painted freestyle. Me. 
Final painting of the cover art. blah.



No comments:

Post a Comment